Liposuction Glossary of Terms
Published on October 19, 2015 by Basil Pakeman
As you research liposuction, you may find it helpful to know the definitions of common terms:
- Liposuction: A cosmetic surgical procedure that removes excess fat from various areas of the body.
- Smartlipo: A laser liposuction brand. The Smartlipo laser fiber is inserted into the treatment area, where it melts fat with thermal energy. Smartlipo is a highly effective liposuction technology that prepares the fat for more efficient, less traumatic removal.
- Laser liposuction: This type of liposuction utilizes a laser fiber to melt the fat cell walls prior to removal. The laser essentially melts the fat before it is suctioned away, making its removal much more efficient. The laser energy also reduces post-op bruising by coagulating blood vessels. Laser liposuction also has a moderate skin tightening effect because it encourages your skin to produce collagen.
- Lipoplasty: Another word for “liposuction.”
- Cannula: A narrow, hollow tube used to remove fluid from the body during liposuction.
- Tumescent liposuction: A liposuction technique that includes injection of lidocaine and epinephrine, which make the treatment area swollen and firm (“tumescent”). Lidocaine numbs the entire area, often eliminating the need for general anesthetic. Epinephrine reduces bleeding during the procedure.
- Ultrasound-assisted liposuction: This technique uses high-frequency sound waves to burst fat cells before they are suctioned away. Like laser liposuction, UAL results in more efficient fat removal.
The only way to know if liposuction is right for your goals is to consult an experienced cosmetic surgeon. To schedule a consultation with experienced cosmetic surgeon Dr. Basil Pakeman, please call Manhattan Surgical Care in New York City at 212-308-1566 .