How to Prepare and Recover From Eyelid Surgery
Eyelid surgery, or blepharoplasty, is used to treat drooping eyelids (ptosis), address under-eye bags and reduce sagging eyelid skin. Blepharoplasty can also be used to treat crossed eyes (ptosis strabismus) and lazy eyes (ptosis amblyopia) caused by drooping eyelids. Regardless of the reasons for your eyelid surgery, there are a few ways you can prepare for your procedure and the recovery process.
Preparing for Your Blepharoplasty
Our cosmetic surgeon is also a board-certified ophthalmologist who can discuss your aesthetic or functional goals for your eyelids. The first step is a thorough medical evaluation, which will include:
- An eye exam to determine the state of your vision—this is a necessary step for health insurance claims.
- A test to examine your tear production.
- Eyelid measurements.
- Photographs of your eyes to further assess your eligibility and support your insurance claim.
Dr. Pakeman will study your medical history and any eye diseases or health concerns you may have such as glaucoma, dry eyes or diabetes. You may be asked to stop taking certain medications as well as quit smoking if you’re a smoker.
Eyelid Surgery Recovery
You will be monitored following your surgery, and you may experience temporary blurred vision, light sensitivity and other vision impairments. Your eyelids will likely be red and puffy with some swelling and bruising. You will need to appoint a friend or family member as your driver to help you get home after your procedure.
Dr. Pakeman and our skilled staff will give you at-home directions to aid in your blepharoplasty recovery, which may include:
- Avoiding contact lenses
- Refraining from rubbing your eyes
- Sleeping with your head elevated
- Wearing dark sunglasses
- Using a cold compress for swelling
- Cleaning your eyelids carefully and using prescribed ointments and medications
If you’re interested in eyelid surgery, contact Dr. Pakeman in NYC today at 212-308-1566 to schedule your eye exam and consultation. Manhattan Surgical Care serves clients throughout New York and nationwide.