Gynecomastia is a condition where an adult male experiences an overdevelopment of one or both breasts. This is generally the result of too much estrogen (a female hormone) being produced, or too little testosterone (a male hormone), which leads to swelling of the glandular tissue, forming an enlarged breast or breast bud. At Manhattan Surgical Care, we understand the embarrassment that men with this disorder experience and work with you to achieve your goals to help you look your best.
If you’re suffering from gynecomastia and are interested in learning about how we can help you, contact Manhattan Surgical Care at 212-308-1566 to schedule your consultation today.
What Causes Gynecomastia?
In adult males, the excess chest fat produced by gynecomastia may occur through a variety of sources, with most resulting from a hormone imbalance caused by serious health issues or from the use of certain prescription drugs. The most common causes of gynecomastia include:
- Health issues: Lung or liver cancer or having an overactive thyroid
- Hormone issues: Cancer of the pituitary gland, adrenal gland, or testicles
- Substance abuse: Marijuana, alcohol, methamphetamines, or heroine may increase risk
- Medicines: Certain prescription drugs may cause gynecomastia including steroids; ulcer, epilepsy, and heart medicines; chemotherapy and antiandrogen drugs; and anti-anxiety and antidepressant drugs
- Weight gain: Excess fat in the breasts due to gaining weight
If you believe you may be developing gynecomastia from any of the above sources, it is recommended you talk with Dr. Basil Pakeman so that he can work with you to create a treatment plan without complicating any other medical conditions you may have.
The Gynecomastia Procedure
Dr. Pakeman’s experience in cosmetic surgery makes him a leader and pacesetter in the industry. For men with excess fatty tissue in their chest, and who have tried diet and exercise with no results, Dr. Pakeman’s male liposuction procedure may help you achieve the outcome you desire. Male liposuction can remove unwanted breast fat and glandular tissue and may produce a firmer and leaner chest.
There are certain qualifications to be a candidate for liposuction. In your initial consultation, Dr. Pakeman asses your overall health and discusses your expectations to determine if liposuction is right for you.
Candidates for liposuction are:
- In good, overall health
- Non-smokers (or can quit for 6 weeks prior to the procedure and a certain number of weeks after the procedure as well)
- Able to limit physical activity after the procedure
- Have realistic expectations of the procedure and outcome
- Willing to follow all post-operative instructions
If you live in or near Manhattan and believe you have gynecomastia, contact Manhattan Surgical Care by filling out the contact form on this page or calling us at 212-308-1566 to schedule a consultation. We will help you learn more about your treatment options and how we can help you love how you look. We are committed to helping you regain your confidence and feel your best.